Funding Your Graduate Education
WGS has a limited number of assistantships for MA students; they pay a stipend and come with an in-state tuition waiver. Duties of graduate assistants may include support of teaching, research, or co-curricular programming. GAs may not work more than 20 hours per week at all employment.
Other Graduate Assistantships are frequently available. WGS students sometimes find assistantships in these areas who don’t have their own graduate programs:
- The Office of Intercultural Engagement: http://intercultural.uncg.edu/
- Sexual Violence Campus Advocacy: http://shs.uncg.edu/wellness/sexual-violence-campus-advocacy-svca
- The Center for Youth, Family, and Community Partnerships: http://cyfcp.uncg.edu/
- The Center for New North Carolinians: http://cnnc.uncg.edu/
You can also search for other assistantships through Career Services:
- Spartan Careers: http://csc.uncg.edu/students/studentemploymentoffice/
Retroactive Tuition Waivers
- If you have an assistantship or fellowship that pays you $6ooo.oo per year, but it does not include a tuition waiver, the Director of Graduate Studies can nominate you for a retroactive tuition waiver in the Spring. You would pay tuition up front (with a loan, for example), but get a credit when the tuition waiver goes into effect.
- Thanks to Sally and Alan Cone, WGS offers several scholarships and awards for graduate and undergraduate WGS majors and students doing outstanding work in WGS. See the deadlines and criteria here and apply individually: https://wgs.uncg.edu/resources/cone-awards/
- The Graduate school offers several scholarships and fellowships; the program must nominate you for these. Some of them are need-based, so be sure to complete your FAFSA!
- For other general scholarships, jobs, and internships here: https://wgs.uncg.edu/resources/opportunities/
Post-Baccalaureate Certificate Students are not eligible for financial aid or assistantships, but they can complete for the Sally and Alan Cone Course Award.
Questions? E-mail Dr. Elizabeth Keathley, WGS Director of Graduate Studies, email@example.com