Applying for the MA in WGS
Apply for the Master of Arts in Women’s and Gender Studies through Apply Yourself, the Graduate School’s online application system.
The deadline to apply for Fall 2016 has been extended to June 15, 2016. The application must be completed, application fee must be paid, and all supporting documents must be submitted by June 16 for your application to be considered for Fall 2016; WGS cannot view your application or make an admission decision until your application is complete and the processing fee has been paid.
If you have missed the June 15 deadline, you may apply for Fall 2017. The priority deadline for Fall 2017 will be Friday, February 3, 2017; submit your application no later than February 3, 2017 to be eligible for WGS assistantships, tuition waivers, fellowships, and other funding. For additional information on funding, see our page “Funding Your Graduate Education.”
To complete your application, you need to submit the following:
Graduate School Requirements:
- Application processing fee (currently $65)
- Official transcripts from prior colleges and universities. Your application will be processed more quickly if your institutions upload these to Apply Yourself. Alternatively, your institution can mail them to: The Graduate School
The University of North Carolina at Greensboro
241 Mossman Building
1202 Spring Garden Street
Greensboro, NC 27412
- Official standardized entrance exam scores. WGS accepts both the GRE and MAT (Miller Analogies Test). Scores must be recent—no more than five years old. UNCG’s school code is 5913. The GRE takes about four hours and costs about $200. The MAT takes about one hour and costs about $100, although this may vary by testing center.
- Three recommendations from professors (preferred) or employers. Enter your recommenders’ e-mail addresses in Apply Yourself, and they will receive a link to an online form; they will also be able to upload a letter.
Please note that the boxes for Transcripts, Entrance Exam Scores, and Recommendations, will be colored in when all those components have been entered. Any blanks will indicate an incomplete application–double check with the source to make sure the information has been sent.
Women’s and Gender Studies Additional Requirements:
- A personal statement explaining how the WGS MA program aligns with your personal, academic, and/or professional experience and goals.
- An academic writing sample, such as a research paper from an academic course.
- An academic and professional CV (curriculum vitae) or résumé (only required if you are applying for an assistantship or other funding).
International students have additional requirements, including demonstrating English-language proficiency, visa status, and financial support. Please see the Graduate School International Applicants page for further information, as well as the International Programs page for international students and scholars.
If you have questions about applying for the MA program in Women’s and Gender Studies, please contact the WGS Director of Graduate Studies, Dr Elizabeth L Keathley, firstname.lastname@example.org.