Careers in Women’s and Gender Studies
- Possible Careers for Graduates
- Skills Developed by Women’s & Gender Studies Students
- Student Profiles
- Alumni Profiles
Possible Careers for Graduates
Graduates of our program have careers in politics and law, social work, psychology, human relations, sports and recreations, and sociology, administration, the arts, business, education, health sciences, and media, among other fields.
Note: This is not an exhaustive list, and many other careers are available. Some positions may require additional education or experience.
Skills Developed by Women’s & Gender Studies Majors
- Ability to discover and understand the intersections between racism, sexism, classism, homphobia and other forms of oppression
- Ability to cultivate understanding among people with different backgrounds and identities
- Knowledge about power relationships and injustice
- Ability to accept intellectual and personal challenges, take a stand and support it with evidence
- Ability to assess needs
- Formulate and defend positions
- Communicate orally and written in a clear and effective manner
- Summarize concepts and ideas
- Explain concepts and ideas that suit a wide variety of audiences
Critical Thinking/Problem Solving Skills:
- Critical thinking skills
- Ability to analyze and synthesize information
- Ability to recognize assumptions and make inferences
- Ability to create research designs
- Evaluate ideas and research
- Gather information and data
- Interpret research and data
- Reading and thinking critically; using unfamiliar materials for generating new ideas
- Reading and analyzing texts
- Perform close readings texts to provide an analysis
- Able to argue or defend a position
- Able to write clearly and cohesively
How to get experience
You can find volunteer and work opportunities that link your academic work at UNCG with your future career interests by attending WGS events, reaching out to professors with similar academic interests, and staying up-to-date with our Resources page, which will provide more information about research opportunities, as well as jobs, internships, conferences, and calls for papers.
Job boards that may be of interest:
Student & Alumni Profiles
Why Women’s and Gender Studies?
The Women’s and Gender Studies program at UNCG is an interdisciplinary field that dovetails with many professions and helps to cultivate many of the necessary skills employers look for in job candidates. Likewise, with an ever-diversifying workforce, employers are increasingly in need of employees who understand multicultural perspectives about things like sexual harassment, pay equity, and equal employment opportunities. Perhaps more importantly, Women’s and Gender Studies graduates report that their education has given them the support and courage they needed to pursue their dreams.
Are you interested in furthering your education? The Women’s and Gender Studies Program offers an interdisciplinary graduate program of study leading to a Master of Arts degree in Women’s and Gender Studies that prepares graduates for professional employment and for further study.