Independent Study may not be used as a substitute for existing courses.
Independent Study may not be available in the summer, depending on faculty availability.
No more than 6 hours of Independent Study may be applied toward a degree
During the semester BEFORE your proposed Independent Study:
- Complete WGS Prerequisites: 9 hours in WGS courses (or 6 hours if student holds another graduate degree), GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- Identify a Faculty Preceptor – Discuss your idea for independent study with a professor who will work with you. This will include clarifying:
- The focus/concept of your study
- What the professor expects of you
- How you will be evaluated (papers, tests, projects, etc.)
- How many hours of credit you will work toward
- How frequently you will meet (your schedule)
- Complete and submit the WGS Independent Study Proposal Form to the WGS Director of Independent Study. This includes:
- A written proposal describing your work and how it relates to your WGS major/minor
- The signature of your faculty preceptor
- Once WGS approval is obtained, use UNCG’s Permission to Register for Independent Study form to register (requires signatures of WGS instructor and Director of WGS
Please click here to download the Independent Study checklist and Proposal Form. Submit this form to the WGS Directory of Independent Study.